Pleasant Lea Elementary was built back in 1966. It was named after Dr. Pleasant John Graves Lea who settled in Jackson County, Missouri in 1849 on 800 acres and was the town physician. In 1865, the people of the town Strother changed the name of the town to Lea’s Summit in his honor, which later became named Lee’s Summit due to misspelling by rail road sign painters and confusion with General Robert E Lee.
PLE opened in September of 1966 with 325 students. The first PTA had 38 charter members. The Theme for the year was “For Every Child a Chance.” Pleasant Lea Elementary continues to have a heart for children and over the years have embraced the many different talents of our students and their leadership skills. Many of the initiatives of the first PTA remain traditions at PLE today. For example, they sponsored Halloween and Valentine Parties, Young Audience Performances, provided money for technology at the school, which at the time was film strip projectors and now the focus is on chrome books. Our PTA continues to provide luncheons for the teachers and programs that included students performing, school carnival and adopting needy families. PLE continues to have a very supportive community and has expanded volunteerism from mothers volunteering in the library to include Watch DOGS, grandparents, business partners and other community members working in various locations such as in classrooms on the playground and wherever they are needed.
|School Colors||Black and Gold|